PJSC Rostelecom is committed to minimising its environmental footprint. We run projects to improve energy efficiency, upgrade our equipment, and perform environmental monitoring of our existing infrastructure facilities. A special focus is placed on sustainable use of natural resources and energy. We annually invest in environmental initiatives across our operating regions, running ongoing land improvement and urban greening programmes and holding environmental events and activities.
The Company seeks to optimise the use of resources and consumables across its business units (office paper, water, etc.). To support this commitment, we actively roll out advanced technology solutions, enhance sustainable resource culture among employees, as well as encourage the use of biodegradable and recycled materials. Our environmental responsibility performance is detailed in PJSC Rostelecom’s annual corporate reports. In addition, we engage with all our stakeholders as part of our environmental impact assessment process for the design and construction of new facilities.
The Company has an Environmental Policy, setting requirements for managing Rostelecom’s activities with a potential impact on the environment. The Policy outlines our key objectives in environmental protection and safety:
- Sustainable use of natural resources
- Minimising Rostelecom’s environmental footprint
- Preserving the environment for future generations.
To achieve the objectives and implement the key principles of its Environmental Policy, the Company is committed in particular to:
- prioritising preservation of natural ecosystems, landscapes, and habitats
- balancing its economic needs with the environmental and social needs of the government and general public
- abandoning projects and plans with an uncertain environmental impact
- focusing on prevention over mitigation for negative environmental impacts
- embedding environmental safety considerations into deploying new solutions, purchasing technology, materials, and equipment, and engaging contractors
- prioritising environmentally-friendly materials, technology, and equipment
- using environmentally-friendly technology to transfer data and phasing-in fibre across its entire service footprint
- reducing specific energy consumption for telecommunications services
- increasing the share of renewables in power consumption. For more details on the Environmental Policy see the Company’s website.
For more details on PJSC Rostelecom’s environmental performance against key metrics see Appendix 6. Key Performance Indicators to this Report.
Our environmental protection objectives are aligned with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. We seek to employ renewable energy sources in line with the UN Goal 7: Affordable and Clean Energy. Rostelecom continues transitioning from paper to e-billing in line with Goal 12: Responsible Consumption and Production. Our environmental initiatives such as boiler facility upgrades, replacement of transport equipment with poor environmental performance, and many others support Goal 13: Climate Action.
|Focus areas and programmes||8||12||13||15|
|Separate waste collection programme||V||V|
|Use of alternative energy sources||V||V||V||V|
|Fostering environmental culture||V||V||V||V|